Low energy levels can affect each of us at times, particularly those who are overweight. This can be especially troublesome for weight loss patients by leading to low compliance. Often these patients are likely to reach for a snack such as a candy bar to gain energy which results in energy spurts followed by crashes and further weight gain as this constant snacking on carbohydrate rich foods can compromise one’s metabolism. Luckily there are natural solutions that can restore one’s energy without the use of stimulants.
5 NATURAL SOURCES OF ENERGY:
1. Magnesium: Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body, including breaking down glucose into energy. When levels are even a little low, energy can drop. In a study done at the Department of Agriculture’s Human Nutrition Research Center in Grand Forks, N.D., women with magnesium deficiencies had higher heart rates and required more oxygen to do physical tasks than they did after their magnesium levels were restored. In essence, their bodies were working harder which, over time, can leave you feeling depleted. Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body and is required for the proper functioning of the heart, muscles and kidneys. It also activates several enzymes in the body and plays an important role in energy metabolism. Some studies, such as the one published in the March 2009 issue of the journal “Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism,” reaffirm that magnesium supplements may improve blood energy metabolism and exercise performance.
2. Potassium Gluconate: Potassium is required for the function of all living cells. Low potassium levels can lead to fatigue, muscle weakness, and cramps. Potassium is also beneficial for balancing fluid and electrolyte levels. Without potassium, you may experience weakness that could prevent you from physical activity. Increased levels of potassium promotes healthy bones and strong, well developed muscle.
3. Bee Pollen: Bee Pollen is considered one of nature’s most completely nourishing foods. It contains nearly all nutrients required by humans. The comprehensive nutrient profile makes Bee Pollen a great source of natural energy. Bee Pollen also contains Lecithin, which helps to eliminate body fat and stimulate the metabolism. Lecithin is a source of choline, which is essential for normal brain function including memory and muscle control.
4. Korean Ginseng: Rejuvenates and restores vigor, soothes the intestinal tract and helps to purify the blood. Ginseng has been used for centuries as a component of traditional Chinese medicine for its natural ability to increase energy, stamina, and circulation of the blood.
5. Guarana Extract: Guarana contains a compound known as guaranine, which is similar to caffeine in its chemical structure. Unlike the caffeine found in coffee, guaranine is released slowly resulting in an energy boost that can last as long as 6 hours without a sudden rush or crash.